Travel company, Expedia recently commissioned international research with Atomik Research to look at what makes the perfect ski holiday for the over 55s. The research was part of a wider campaign run in conjunction with our parent company, 4media group. This campaign was comprised of international research, broadcast and design elements.
The campaign was fronted by the iconic Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards who gave his expert opinion on why older generations love a snow holiday adding gravitas and the personal touch to the discussion.
Atomik Research surveyed 13,000 people across 13 countries including: the UK, USA, Italy, Spain, France, Russia, Switzerland, Italy, Canada, Belgium, Germany, Sweden, The Netherlands and Austria.
Key findings from the research included:
- A third of over 55 year olds go on a ski holiday every year
- 26% took up skiing after the age of 40
- 66% of over 55’s said they were attracted to ski or snowboarding holidays because it was exhilarating
- A third of over 55’s said they are attracted to a good après ski culture
- 13% of over 55’s admitted that they enjoy a drink every day compared to just 8% of over 25’s.
- 20% of over 55’s said that their ideal après ski experience would be a hot tub and champagne
- Only 41% of 18-24 years said it didn’t influence their decision to book a snow holiday
- 71% of over 55s revealed that news of accidents wouldn’t impact them at all.
The coverage for the campaign was exceptional and was hosted from the BBC’s New Broadcasting House. The broadcast day featured 9 interviews, including 4 BBC Radios, Talk Sport and Radio X, as well as TV interviews on BBC Sports News, BBC Sportsday and on the BBC Sport website.
As well as media coverage, 4media also supplied the data as a white paper to use an asset to boost their marketing campaign.