Atomik Research were commissioned to conduct PR research by external use disinfectant brand, Jeyes Fluid, to look at the risks that come with outdoor socialising. Specifically The research looked at the cleanliness of outdoor furniture and the risks it poses to our health if not cleaned sufficiently. Atomik Research surveyed 2,000 UK adults to how clean people think their outdoor living really is.
Key findings from the PR research included:
- 41% of Brits leave their garden furniture outside and exposed to the elements during winter
- 2 in 5 of Brits at risk of ingesting mould
- 80% of us are not cleaning our garden furniture properly
- 20% of Brits admit to only cleaning their garden furniture when it starts to look grubby
- 34% of us do not consider how hygienic garden furniture is before using it
- 40% just give the furniture a once over with soapy water which does not effectively kill nasties
- The worst culprits in dirtying garden furniture according to UK adults: environmental damage (63%), mould (51%) and animal droppings (33%)
- 11% reported being put off from eating their dinner outside due to dirty garden
- 18% have experienced bad health caused by eating food that was either prepared, cooked or eaten outside.
The PR research survey was part of a larger integrated PR campaign created in conjunction with our parent company, 4media group, which consisted of research and broadcast PR elements.