Atomik Research were commissioned to conduct PR research by Maverick Drinks exploring that nation’s increasing love for gin. The research looked specifically at how gin compares to other beverages and what it is that is making it so popular. To find out Atomik Research surveyed 2,000 UK adults.
Key findings from the PR research included:
- 59% of gin drinkers said that they prefer the spirit because of the variety of flavours available
- 42% feel that there is a larger variety of gin on offer than any other spirit.
- Gin (32%) and vodka (32%) were the most popular drink from the last 12 months
- 30% put whiskey at the top of their list
- The majority of over 45-year-olds agreed that their favourite spirit is gin – and the over 55’s have drunk more gin in the last 12 months than any other age group, with 30% choosing gin over any other spirit.
- 25 – 34-year-olds prefer to drink gin while out and socialising, but in comparison, those over 44 prefer to drink it when at home relaxing (46%).
- More women prefer gin to men, and twice as many women choose gin as their favourite spirit (26%) to men (13%).
- Women are more experimental, with 2 in 5 choosing a flavoured gin as their drink of choice.
The research was part of an integrated campaign created in conjunction with our parent company, 4media group, which consisted of research, broadcast PR and news generation elements. The broadcast day was fronted by David T. Smith, author of The Gin Dictionary and judge at the International Wine & Spirts Challenge alongside Steph DiCamillo, from Boutique-y Gin. Both spokespeople were able to talk about the research and give us insight on the increasing popularity of gin amongst the British public.
The campaign achieved widespread media coverage across broadcast, print and online platforms. Highlights of the coverage included interviews on BBC Radio Guernsey, BBC Radio Norfolk, BBC Radio Stoke, BBC Radio Northampton, BBC Radio Newcastle, BBC Radio Jersey, BBC Radio Tees as well as coverage on The Mirror, The Daily Record, The Sun, Hello! Magazine Online and more!